In 2004, Pankaj and I began landscaping the backyard. We started with a couple of lilies, ornamental grasses, and two blue spruce trees. The spruce trees were a special addition, and were planted in memory of the Raja embryoes that were created during our IVF treatments that spring.
Each year I like to add a new perennial or two, and our island garden has really grown into a haven for birds and butterflies. Every item in the garden has special significance to me. There are three white birch tree stumps from my parents cottage (I've always been fond of birch trees), a sedum from Indian friends in Illinois, a third spruce tree from my Uncle Bernie (which was planted in 2005 on the birthday which three of my grandparents shared), the alliums I've always admired, and a star gazer lily that was given to our family when my Grandma Schultz died in 1999. The list of my favorites could go on and on...
The end result is to make our backyard more beautiful and private. Less grass to mow is a plus too! Our chain-link fence certainly helps keep Samedh from escaping the yard, but it's not very pleasing to the eye. In time though, our six arborvitaes, Rose of Sharon, and spruce trees will grow thick and tall and create the beautiful backdrop we've always desired.









No comments:
Post a Comment