Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Happy Paczki Day!

Posted by Picasa
Today Samedh told me, "There's nothing sweeter than a paczki." This is the third Paczki Day he and I have celebrated together. This year was a little different though because I actually made them myself as opposed to buying them from the grocery store. The most time-consuming part was waiting for the dough to rise a couple of times (while punching it down in between), so it ended up being a two-day process. Sunday morning is when I fried them, and they stayed safe in the freezer until last night (except for the two that I ate yesterday). They turned out really good, and Samedh shared some with his preschool teachers this morning. We also took a few to our neighbors across the street, and have one more neighborhood delivery to make this afternoon. It was a lot of fun making these delicious donuts, but it's even more fun sharing them with others. Will I make them again next year? Not sure yet. But I did discover that Zeeland Bakery is selling them this year. I never even considered them because paczki are anything but Dutch. But if the local bakery offers paczki next year, I'll consider picking up one or two from there instead. But never the prune variety...I've never been a big fan of prune!

No comments: