Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Paper or Plastic? How About Canvas!

Posted by Picasa

I've been using these canvas shopping bags for over 15 years, and they are still just as strong and sturdy as ever. We only have four bags, but I wish we had more. I used to use them primarily for grocery shopping, but have recently started toting them along to Michael's, Target, and even the post office! I get mixed reactions, especially at the local grocery store who happens to offer a "Save-a-sack" program for reusing your own bags. Service clerks (baggers) young and old often look at my bags like they can't figure out what to do with them. After all, the bags are neither paper nor plastic, so now what? Well, fill 'em up! A bag is a bag, whether it originally came from your store or not.

I actually prefer my old canvas bags to the ones many retailers offer today. Today's bags just seem so small, but they serve the same purpose. Everyone has them: Target, Walgreens, Spartan Stores, you name it. But all you really need is one good set for all your shopping (and hauling) needs. I recommend buying the largest bags out there, and using them wherever you go. The bags are especially handy for hauling 2-liter pop, which typically rips right through plastic or paper grocery bags.

So what prompted my to write about this today? Just a little comment I overheard in the check-out lane at our local Family Fare grocery store. The same service clerk has waited on us HUNDREDS of times before, so he is quite familiar with my canvas bags. In fact, he even tried to encourage me to purchase the Spartan Stores canvas bags about a year ago...going on and on about the importance of recycling. But today was different - - I heard him grumble quite a few times, "These bags are terrible!" I think he was upset because the sides of the bags kept collapsing as he was trying to fill them. Well in my opinion, he would have had a more difficult time trying to fill the smaller Spartan Stores recyclable bags if I had those instead. Maybe next time I should insist on bagging my own. Or better yet, I could simply take my $114 in purchases elsewhere. I could try Aldi or Save-A-Lot, where shoppers must supply their own grocery bags in the first place. Just my two cents...well actually, five cents per bag:)

No comments: