Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Out With the Old





The Salvation Army truck will be in our neighborhood tomorrow, so I've spent the last few days gathering old clothes and unused household items in preparation for their visit. I filled two boxes of old glassware and clothing for tomorrow, and set aside one entire tote of fall and winter clothes that will be donated in later in the year. All that's left is a pile of Pankaj's dress shirts that he no longer wears (the style is a bit too casual for his current employer). He can sort through them tonight to see if he wants to still keep them. He hasn't worn them in five years, but chances are the shirts will stay around here another year or two. You just never know...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I had lots of fun rummaging through two old purses I found in the basement. One purse I used regularly when Pankaj and I were dating, and it was so old that it had to be thrown away. Amazingly, in that purse I found an old box cutter that I used daily while working as a deli clerk in the early 90's. (And just in case you're wondering, it was used to cut open cases of product...not for slicing meat or cheese.) I also found a pair of earrings, the sales receipt for my wedding dress, my first drivers license that expired in 1991, a pay stub from 1994, and a favorite shade of lipstick I thought I'd never see again. All of that plus a few dollars in loose change, which I happily forked over to Samedh. He enjoyed "feeding his pig" by dropping the coins one-by-one into the big old red piggy bank I had used when I was his age. Now he keeps asking me for more change! I told him we'll just have to wait until Daddy comes home tonight and empties his pockets of spare change.

No comments: